Monday, October 28, 2013

Sooo Big!!!

Liam received his first of many diplomas today! I can't even remember off the top of my head when Liam started Early Intervention Services, but I know he was just a tiny tot. In the beginning Liam struggled with many health and developmental issues. He struggled with fine and gross motor skills, vision and communication skills and struggled/s with feeding issues. Over time, after many home visit appointments, and with the help of his therapists, he reached most of his milestones. Eventually he met all of the motor skill goals we had set for him and DDI Vantage (our local Early Intervention Service company) stopped coming. After we had brought Sara home and she started services, it was recommended that we have Liam re-evaluated to see if we would once again qualify for services. This time for speech therapy. Before his ear tubes which were placed in March, he was not talking. He did qualify again and had a speech therapist and an OT come out to our home weekly. Eventually he started using words and forming sentences and it was amazing to see him speak of all of the things that were in his mind. Poor little guy wanted to speak, he just couldn't hear so once his ears were clear, his speech was more and more clear too. We knew when DDI picked him up again that it wasn't going to be for very long because once a child turns 3, they no longer qualify for services and are left in the hands of their school district. We had a few meetings with the Early Childhood Center here in Murray to see if he would qualify for pre-school but after many tests they decided that Liam was developing appropriately and he did not qualify. Although I am sure he would have loved pre-school, I was happy to not have another one of my babies leave the nest for school, happy that I didn't have to drive him to school, and happier that he has come so far and is right where he needs to be developmentally. My little man has overcome so much and it makes my heart sing to know that he is right on track! With his 3rd birthday coming up this week, he had his final/exit appointment with his therapists today. It was bittersweet and goodbyes are always hard for me, but I am happy to have had them in our home, helping Liam reach his fullest potential. I am sure we will see them around since Sara will continue to receive services for another year and eventually speech therapy but for now, so long Julie and Sue! My fun-size, full of life, happy, mischievous, terror, but very smart little man graduated! The sky is the limit for this one and I am sure he will continue to soar!! Well done Liam, you are sooo big!!


No comments:

Post a Comment